IntroductionAfter my last article on the ultimate streamlined capsule wardrobe, I received numerous e-mails asking why I didn’t include any accessories (other than ties). The reason I didn’t include accessories was purely due to the extremely personal touch that they bring to an outfit.
It’s easy for any man to start building his own capsule wardrobe – just buy simple, classic and versatile pieces – but accessories are a little more difficult. There are so many to choose from and they come in such a wide variety of colours, styles and patterns, I couldn’t even begin to contemplate adding them to the previous list.
However, the more I thought about it the more I realised that was exactly the reason why I should have included them. If I find the prospect of narrowing the world of accessories down to the ‘essentials’ daunting, then imagine what it’s like for someone who doesn’t pretend that writing about clothes is a real job. And if there’s one thing we aim to do here at FashionBeans, it’s support the ever growing community of stylish men out there.
The Streamlined Accessory CollectionSo allow me to stop waxing sartorial and get straight down to the nitty gritty. As before, you could call this an ‘essential’ list (in fact, I did) but I hate that term due to its criminal overuse and the fact that it assumes all guys have the same taste.
What follows is a sort of check-list for guys out there who are looking to expand their current collection of accessories without getting too carried away and buying anything that comes in camouflage:
Example LookbookHere are a few of our favourite outfits that make use of some of the accessories mentioned above:
- Rotary Mens Watch
- Roamer Mens Saturn Automatic Watch
- Bulova Mens Dress Watch 96a115
- Reiss Shackleton Plain Rib Sock Navy
- 3 Pack Of Pringle Socks
- Pantherella Ribbed Sea Island Cotton-blend Socks
- Asos Reversible Leather Belt
- Reiss Dart 2 Reversible Formal Belt
- Austin Reed Black And Tan Reversible Belt
- Reiss Yacht Plain Linen Pocket Square White
- Linen Pocket Square
- Topman Red White Spots Pocket Square
- Reiss Abyss Linked Diamond Print Pocket Square Bottle Green
- Drakes Printed Cotton Pocket Square
- Mp Di Massimo Piombo Printed Cotton Pocket Square
- John Lewis Fleece Lined Leather Gloves Black
- Dents Mens Black Leather Cashmere Lined Gloves
- Paul Smith Shoes & Accessories Leather Gloves
- Austin Reed Gunmetal Rectangle Tie Clip
- Lanvin Tie Clip
- Austin Reed Semi Plain Tie Clip
- Asos Fleck Scarf
- Chunky Rib Knit Scarf Ugg Australia Grey
- Austin Reed Black Chunky Knit Plain Scarf
- London Undercover Pinstripe Umbrella
- Paul Smith Multi-striped Trim Umbrella
- Austin Reed Countryman Umbrella
- Reiss Rye Holdall Mid Brown
- Allsaints Newark Holdall
- He By Mango Hold-all Bag
- Ray-ban Flat Brow Wayfarer Sunglasses
- Cutler And Gross D-frame Tortoiseshell Sunglasses
- Dior Homme Sunglasses Combination Aviator Sunglasses 143566
- Allsaints Clidean Necklace
- Maison Martin Margiela 11 Mens Hidden Section Ring
- Miansai Woven-leather And Metal Hook Bracelet
Final WordSo there you have it, a list of accessories that I think should be in every man’s wardrobe. I tried to stay away from talking about colours and patterns too much because, as I said, that should be a personal choice that reflects variables such as your personality, skin tone and personal style.
However, for those of you out there looking to start expanding your collection, this would be a great place to start.
As always, I want to hear what you have to say. Did I miss something off? Should I have included more of something? Is writing about clothes a real job? If yes, then please tell my dad that!
Let me know in the comments section…